Thursday, April 2, 2015

FAMILY EASTER TRADITIONS

When I was young, the "Easter Bunny" filled our baskets with goodies and we found them waiting for us when we got up on Easter morning.  The baskets were saved from year to year.  We put them out before bed on Easter Eve and found them full in the morning.

Also, when I was young, we often had an Easter Egg Hunt the day before Easter.  My dad would hide eggs and candy in the yard.  All the kids in the neighborhood were usually invited to participate.  Below is a picture of one such group of egg hunters, taken in Independence, CA in about 1949 or 1950.


Another tradition was to get a new Easter outfit every year.  (Sometimes it was the only new outfit I got all year!)  We would get all dressed up and go to church.  Then come home for Easter dinner.  In my family, we always had leg of lamb for dinner.  Below are pictures of my new Easter outfit in Independence, California in 1948.  Vicky Underhill's grandmother made us matching Easter dresses that year.

Top picture is me, bottom picture is me on left with Vicky Underhill.

When I had children of my own, we continued these traditions -- but I added one more.  At our house, the Easter Bunny hid the baskets and left a trail of clues to find them!


1 comment:

  1. Very cute. My family - the Andy Russell's - did the same things for Easter. New outfit, new shoes, church, finding the Easter basket and Easter egg hunts. So much fun to think back. You are very fortunate to have these adorable pictures. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete